Standing Workout to Get Flat Abs
Are you tired on getting on the hard floor to do crunches? In this post, I share how you can get flatter and tighter abs in less than 30 days without getting on the floor and without any crunches
First, I’ll share what you can do if you don’t have any weights at home. Its very easy to can make a simple (and effect) set. Next I share four great standing abs exercises: Side Bend , Cross Over Toe Touches, Standing Core Stabilization, Standing Bow Extension and Standing Reverse Dumbbell Chop.
Why not just do crunches?
Before we start, you may be asking, “why shouldn’t I just get on the floor and start doing crunches?” Well, you could but these days being on the floor and exercising on any high traffic surfaces could put you more at risk. See How to Clean your home for tips on lowering COVID-19 risk.
Another reason to skip getting on the floor is if you have a history of neck or hip pain. These standing abs exercises are a great alternative and should limit stress to these areas if performed correctly.
What If I don’t have any weights?
If you do not have any weights available, you can start with no weights today. The standing exercises will still work albeit slower.
How do I make weights at home?
Its easy. Most liquid containers found in your kitchen or laundry room such as water bottles, tubes of laundry detergent, gallon jugs can be converted into hand weights.
To make a weight, simply fill these containers with water, sand, rocks to add various levels of weight.
Here are the steps to safely make a weight set at home.
- Gather 1-4 containers of equal size. I recommend starting with two 20 oz water bottles and two 1 Gallon jugs of the same size and shape. You must be able to easily grab the container so its best if it has a handle
- Make sure each container is in good shape with no cracks or holes
- Empty, clean, and dry each container
- Fill the container with water, sand, or even pebbles. If you want different weights, fill only halfway.
- Seal container tightly by hand. To be extra safe, apply a thin layer of glue before sealing
- If you have a scale, weight of each item after filling. 1 Gallon of water is approximately 8 pounds
- Label each container with its weigh using masking tape and a Sharpie
Should I Exercise My Abs If I’m Pregnant?
Check with your doctor as your body is currently under a great deal of stress. If you are expecting, I recommend this article, how to get a smaller waist after pregnancy
Four Standing Abs Exercises for flatting your stomach
Time needed: 20 minutes.
Cross Over Toe Touches
This exercises requires no weights and works both sides of your abdominal. Click the video below to watch a complete set of the exercise.
- Stand with feet slightly wider than shoulder length apart
- With right hand, smoothly bend at waist and tighten your abdominal muscles, and touch your your left foot.
- Exhale and smoothly return back to starting position
- With left hand, smoothly bend at waist and tighten your abdominal muscles, and touch your your right foot.
- Exhale and smoothly return back to starting position
- This counts as a single repetition.
- Perform 8-12 repetitions, 3-5 times (sets)
Free: Download CrossOver Toe Touch Abs Exercise video (right click, save as)
Marching Elbow Drive Down (Bow Extension)
This classic Pilates move requires not weights and strengthens the front abdominal muscles. Here’s how to do it:
- Start with Feet, shoulder length apart
- Extend hands above your body
- Shift your weight to your right foot and balance. Tighten your abdominal and back muscles, extend your body long and lift your left foot off the floor.
- Return left foot to floor, and inhale
- Do 10 repetitions then shift to the left foot and repeat the exercise on your right side.
- Complete 4 sets of 10 on each side.
Click here to download Marching Elbow Abs Exercise video (right click, save as)
Standing Core Stabilization
- To complete this waist trimming exercise, grasp one dumbbell with both hands extended in front of you. Your feet are shoulder width apart, do not lock your knees. Breathe out as you rotate your upper body to the right.
- Turn your upper body only, pivoting at the waist. Keep your hips forward and your knees soft. Continue twisting at the waist until you feel a stretch in the oblique. Breathe in as you return to center, and after that begin your pivot to the left.
- Start with 2 sets of 8 repetitions for this exercise and build up.
Standing Dumbbell Side Bend
This exercise targets the sides of your abs. For beginners, start with no weights and then transition to a single dumbbell or kettlebell.
Here’s how to do it:
- Hold a dumbbell in one hand, stand with your feet shoulder width apart, legs straight but do not lock your knees.
- Keep your neck long, your arms straight down at your sides and your shoulders down.
- Slowly allow one hand to lower along your body line toward the outside of your knee, control the movement. Breathe out as you extend.
- When you feel a stretch in your side, return to the standing position. Repeat on each side for 3 sets of 10 repetitions.
Click the video below to an example of a Side Bend
Wrapping up the Standing Abs workout for women
In conclusion, yes it’s possible to get your abs in great shape in only 15-25 minutes per day using these four standing exercises. However, it takes consistency — you’ll need to exercise 2-3 times per week to get the best results.
TruSkin Facial Serum treats the most common signs of aging including brightness, firmness, fine lines, wrinkles, dark spots & sun spots. Over 15,000 positive customer reviews. Click the link to read more reviews and before-and-after photos
Frequently Asked Standing Abs Exercise Questions
We recommend a kettlebell or dumbbell for this exercise. If you do not have any weights available, you can start with no weights
8-14 repetitions per set. If the weight is too heavy for you to make it through 8 repetitions then lower the weight.
Remember that proper form is the most important aspect to concentrate on as you gain strength. Make sure to move your body smoothly through all of the movements described above.
Its important to maintain a healthy diet in order to see the good results. Read more in our article, 5 Myths About Getting Toned Abs and two exercises that actually do work
60-90 seconds per set
2-3 times per week
It isn’t necessarily harder. However, in general women tend to have higher percentage of body fat than men. The higher percentage of body weight can make it more difficult for women to see their abdominal muscles
If you’ve been working out for a while and still struggling you could be exercising incorrectly. Download our free 10 Muscle Building Myths For Women Exposed guide
The best way to for women is to get flat abs fast is through a healthy diet, 8 or more hours of sleep, performing exercises focusing on core strength, and additional exercises targeted at losing weight
Get Fit Faster
Get access to exclusive workout videos for women by joining Girl Exercising. Click Subscribe below to start. Its free to join, can cancel anytime, and we promise to send you only one email per week
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only. It is not medical advice and should not be used or interpreted as such. You should always consult a medical professional before making drastic changes to your diet and physical exercise
Belly fat is tough for women and girls to lose. If you walk into any gym you’ll see a good amount of people trying to ‘sweat the fat away’ by doing countless crunches or treadmill running. So what the best ways for us to lose belly fat? Munch on Fibers Soluble fiber absorbs water. When...
[Updated June 7, 2020] Want to get into lean, slim, toned and fit? The only tool you’re ever going to need to complete this goal is the kettlebell. Let’s take a look at why this is the perfect solution for those particular training goals and what you need to do to make it happen....